Tuesday 28 February 2012

AND NOW - A LITTLE 'ICE BREAKER'...



Someone once asked me what steps I'd take to dilute any possible negative influence or bad example comics might have on younger readers.  By way of kick-starting suggestions, I pondered the possibility of comics having a little warning on the editorial or letters pages, saying something along the lines of "Remember - Hyperman is indestructible, you are not.  Do not try to imitate him".  (Like Captain Scarlet used to have.)  Obviously, the message would be appropriate to the content.

This was met with scorn by the person who asked the question, saying that it was patronising to children.  I pointed out that many toys carry such advice, so why not something similar with comics?  These days the packaging on toy guns and bows 'n' arrows warns kids about the angers of aiming them at people's eyes, etc., which seems a perfectly sensible precaution to me.  At the very least, it covers the manufacturers if some kid decides to ignore the 'operating instructions'.

I was therefore interested to see the above panel from a copy of The Beano, after an episode in which Dennis and his pals went skating on a frozen pond.  Might've been better having it in the actual issue where the strip appeared, but better late than never.  Obviously, the person who took issue with me must think that it's 'patronising' to exercise a little social responsibility.  Thankfully, DCT are not in accord with his views in this instance. 

7 comments:

Mr Straightman said...

'Biffa Bacon is a cartoon character and you are not. Please do not attempt to 'knack' your own parents in order to see their teeth flying in all directions, as this is not acceptable behaviour'.

Kid said...

Or "Flash Thomson is an obnoxious turd. Do not behave like him or someone will stove your head in."

Works for me.

BIO said...

May I ask, WHO said these things?

BIO said...

As in - are they online, blogging away?

Kid said...

You may ask - but I'll spare his blushes by allowing him his anonymity. And yes - I believe he does have a blog.

DAZ said...

I think you make this stuff up as you go along Gordy.

Kid said...

Watch me lose sleep over your lack of faith. I'd say I know what I'm talking about better than you do.

How many names is that now?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...