Wednesday 16 November 2011

PART TWO OF A PICTORIAL TRIBUTE TO MICK ANGLO...

Copyright DC COMICS

Here are some more covers from my collection of SUPER DC, the TOP SELLERS reprint title from the late '60s, early '70s.  Also shown are the free gifts from issue #1.  Traditionally, British comics had free gifts in the first three issues, but that was usually only with weeklies.  Perhaps because it was a monthly publication, editor MICK ANGLO decided to put all three giveaways in the 1st issue - or it could've been that, individually, they weren't up to much, hence the 'quantity' rather than 'quality' approach.


If anyone has issue #14 of Super DC and wants to make a few quid, then get in touch.  Then I can feature it on a future post.  (Update: Now got it.)
 




With two or three exceptions (where interior panels were enlarged for the purpose), Mick Anglo is believed  to have drawn the covers, using images from various DC sources as reference.  If anyone knows anything different, I'd appreciate you letting me know.

Look out for the third and final part soon.

3 comments:

Amund said...

I'm sorry but i'm just not getting why Mick Anglo was so respected.

I've read tributes to him on other 'sites and at his best he seems to have been less than average and at his worst a copycat.

Those SuperDC covers are competent copies of Dc poses in bad compositions. so what?

Dougie said...

Really enjoying these covers. I don't remember them aside from a vague atavistic thrill of recognition with Mod Lois and Bert Lahr Superman. I wonder then if they ever made it to Strathaven? If I had seen the issue with Superman and Brainiac (?) I would have been all over that comic.

I want to know what was inside!

(The Captcha was Munin. Wasn't that one of Odin's ravens?)

Kid said...

Amund, obviously because he's just died, and out of a sense of fond nostalgia for being involved in comics from our childhoods. Like Marvelman for a lot of people and Super DC for me.

Dougie, I'd guess they were available in Strathaven - they were everywhere else, but I think they were generally stuck on the spinner-racks with the US comics instead of being put on the counters with the UK ones.

Yup - Hugin and Munin.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...